India understands how to make good horror movies, and there are many of them out there for those who are prepared to look for them. This is the cream of the crop. Read below to know more.
1. Tumbaad (2018): Tumbbad had its world premiere at the 75th Venice International Film Festival, making it the festival’s first Indian film. It not only testifies to the film’s excellence but also to the growth of Indian horror as a popular genre of the film outside of India.
2. 13B: Fear has a new address (2009): 13B: Fear Has a New Address is a charming little low-budget Indian film, aside from the fairly odd title. Despite its obvious lack of funds, the video looks amazing, thanks to clever camera angles and beautiful framing.
3. Bhoot (2003): Bhoot is a worthwhile addition to the malicious demonic possession subgenre, drawing heavily on The Exorcist. This one is about Vishal and Swati, a married couple who move into a haunted apartment and begin to suffer serious consequences in the form of Swati’s possession.
4. Mahal (1949): Mahal is worth watching just for its historical significance. It is sometimes acknowledged as Bollywood’s first horror film. The film stars Ashok Kumar as Hari Shankar, a man who has visions and strange occurrences inside his new, abandoned palace, and was released in 1949.
5. Aamis (Ravenging-2019): Aamis, also known as Ravening in English, premiered at the Tribeca Film Festival in 2019 to rave reviews. The story follows Nirmali, a happy pediatrician who meets a Ph.D. student researching Indian food patterns. The two quickly become friends and begin experimenting with various cuts of meat. Nirmali quickly develops an aversion to eating human flesh.
6. Kothanodi (2015): Grand Mother’s Tales, a popular work of Assamese literature that has been cherished since its publication in 1911, is the inspiration for Kothanodi, a film released in 2015. The book is a compilation of traditional stories authored by Lakshminath Bezbaroa, an Assamese poet.
7. The House Next Door (2017): The House Next Door is a paranormal horror film containing a number of effective scares that can both surprise and unsettle the audience. Krish and Lakshmi, a brain surgeon and his wife, are worried when a rebellious adolescent and her stepmother move in next door.
8. 9 (2019): 9 is a wonderful blend of science fiction and horror that also has some heartwarming father-son ties. The number ‘9’ in the title refers to how long a passing comet will impair all types of contemporary technology, including electricity and phone service.
9. 1920 (2008): Haunted houses appear in some of the best period horror films, and 1920 is one of them. The film, which was released in 2008, is about a married couple who live in a haunted mansion.
10. Pari (2018): Pari is a delightful supernatural horror film about a peculiar woman named Rukhsana who may or may not be of this world, and it’s a terrific directorial debut for Kolkata-born Prosit Roy. Pari, a satanic cult that sexually attacks and impregnates kidnapped women with the child of an Islamic mythological demon named Ifrit, contains elements of demonic horror.
Also READ: When was the Barsaat Ki Raat movie released?