Bollywood has evolved significantly throughout time, as have its trends. Item songs are one such trend that has evolved with the passage of time. The term “item song” refers to a musical component in a film that has little to do with the film’s plot. It’s catchy and aids in the film’s marketing and promotion. Priyanka Chopra, Kareena Kapoor, and Katrina Kaif used to be side heroines like Helen, Bindu, Shakeela, and Nadira, but now it’s top heroines like Priyanka Chopra, Kareena Kapoor, and Katrina Kaif who dance to the strains of item songs with ease and demand. Here are the top 10 item songs of Bollywood.
1. Babuji Dheere Chalna (Aar Par): This song was a tremendous winner thanks to OP Nayyar’s superb melody, Geeta Dutt’s calming voice, and Shakeela’s beautiful dances.
2. Mera Naam Chin Chin Chu (Howrah Bridge): Helen, the most famous item girl of all time, was born as a result of this song. Once again, the cooperation of OP Nayyar and Geeta Dutt provided us with a wonderful dance piece.
3. Piya Tu Ab To Aaja (Caravan): It was a classic cabaret item number in which the film’s vamp danced to make the female protagonist envious. This song, sung by Asha Bhosle and created by RD Burman, was seductive in its own right. Bhosle’s orgasmic breathing sounds helped set this song distinct from the rest.
4. Mehbooba Mehbooba (Sholay): In the midst of Rampur’s forests, Helen’s sensuous dancing skills and RD Burman’s distinctive voice were the right cause to seduce Gabbar. Pancham Da’s solitary Filmfare Award nomination for playback singing has been anthologized, remixed, and reproduced numerous times since its release.
5. Ye Mera Dil Pyar ka Deewana (Don): Helen appeared to be unstoppable. If she were to perform in one of the songs, she would give the female leads in the movies a run for their money. And this sultry number wasn’t any different. This Asha Bhosle number was so popular that it was reproduced and performed by Kareena Kapoor in the remake of Don.
6. Choli Ke Peeche (Khalnayak): All it takes to make a song a hit is provocative dance movements, contentious lyrics, and Madhuri Dixit dancing. The combination of Ila Arun’s loud voice condemning Madhuri Dixit and Alka Yagnik’s beautiful voice defending her choli and its secrets worked well, and this song quickly became a fan favorite.
7. Chamma Chamma (China Gate): Who wouldn’t want to be seduced by Urmila Matondkar, a sultry Urmila Matondkar, who seduces 11 old retired army guys with loads of sex appeal in a song? This song, composed by Anu Malik and sung by Alka Yagnik, became a favorite among the ladies who took part in Ladies Sangeet at wedding festivities.
8. Chaiyya Chaiyya (Dil Se): Shahrukh Khan in a moving train and Malaika Arora Khan in a backless lehnga. Because of its unique direction, melody, and singing and dancing style, this song has become a cult classic. Filmfare awards were given to AR Rahman, Sukhwinder Singh, and Farah Khan for music playback and choreography, respectively. Is there anything else we can say?
Also READ: Is KGF a South Indian movie?