The adolescent years are an odd time. You’re stuck between childhood and maturity, trying to reconcile the end of innocence with the start of independence. You’re suddenly too old for certain things but too young for others. You’re attempting to ‘rediscover yourself,’ whatever that entails. Many of us wouldn’t go back to that period if we were paid, yet it’s precisely that chaotic push-and-pull that makes adolescence such a rich source of inspiration for stories. Here is the list of the top five teen movies on Netflix.
1. Lady Bird: This is the debut movie of Greta Gerwig’s semi-autobiography and also one of the best films of 2017.
2. Superbad: The film Superbad is regarded as a modern comedic masterpiece. The film by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg is a truly original and hilarious take on the coming-of-age subgenre of ‘let’s lose our virginity before the end of high school.’
3. The Perks of Being a Wallflower: A socially awkward loner (Logan Lerman) befriends two free-spirited older youngsters (Emma Watson and Ezra Miller) who introduce him to the world of music, friendship, and love in Stephen Chbosky’s drama.
4. Can’t hardly Wait: Superbad and Booksmart’s older relative, Can’t Hardly Wait, is like the cool older cousin of Can’t Hardly Wait. Over the duration of a high school graduation celebration, the characters seek love, closure, and (of course) sex, as they fulfill years of ambitions and expectations.
5. 20th Century Women: In 1979 Santa Barbara, Dorothea, a free-spirited single mother in her 50s, enlist the support of two friends to guide her son Jamie through his adolescence.