The Power of Love, which launched at the Ambassador Hotel Theater in Los Angeles on September 27, 1922, was the first confirmed 3D film presented to an out-of-house audience. Harry K. Fairall, the film’s producer, and cinematographer Robert F. Elder designed the camera gear.
It was shot in black and white dual-strip, and single-strip color anaglyphic release prints were made on a color film devised and patented by Harry K. Fairall. Early in December 1922, William Van Doren Kelley, the developer of the Prizma color system, took advantage of the growing interest in 3D films sparked by Fairall’s demonstration and filmed a video with his own camera system.
In 1922, Frederic Eugene Ives and Jacob Leventhal began distributing their first three-year-long stereoscopic shorts. Plastigrams, the first film, was released in red-and-blue anaglyph format by Educational Pictures across the country. The following stereoscopic shorts in the “Stereoscopiks Series” issued by Pathé Films in 1925 were produced by Ives and Leventhal: Zowie (April 10), Luna-cy! (May 18), The Run-Away Taxi (December 17), and Ouch (April 10). (December 17). Luna-cy! was re-released in the DeForest Phonofilm sound-on-film technology on September 22, 1924.
The ‘golden era’ of 3D began in late 1952 with the publication of Arch Oboler’s first color stereoscopic film, Bwana Devil, which he produced, wrote, and directed.
Also READ: Who is the most handsome actor in Bollywood?