With the Hollywood superstar battling a worthy on-screen foe (himself) in this week’s ‘Gemini Man,’ here’s a list of Will Smith‘s best films.
1. The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (1990-1996): This list has a kink because it’s a TV show rather than a movie, but it’s a necessary kink. This is where Will Smith’s career began. Following a great career as a rapper, he developed his acting skills in the film ‘Fresh Prince.’ What a gift it was to hone such skills as the star of a six-season mega-hit television show.
2. Ali (2001): From 1964 through 1974, Will Smith plays Muhammad Ali. It’s a boxing film about the most famous boxer in history, but it’s more about the politics of the moment, portraying how Ali navigated some extremely dangerous socio-political seas.
3. Men In Black (1997): Smith featured as James Edwards, an athletic, mouthy New York City officer who is recruited by ‘K,’ a veteran of a hidden government agency that tracks aliens on Earth, in Barry Sonnenfeld’s aesthetically slick and darkly funny adaptation of a tongue-in-cheek sci-fi comic book.
4. Six Degrees of Separation (1993): The world of liberal, affluent Manhattan art dealers Flan and Ouisa Kittredge (Donald Sutherland and Stockard Channing) is turned upside down when they take in an educated and charming young man named Paul (Will Smith).
5. Pursuit of Happyness (2006): Chris Gardner (Smith), a talented but struggling salesperson, and his five-year-old son (Jaden Smith) are evicted from their San Francisco apartment. Gardner and his son face numerous challenges when he obtains an internship at a famous stock brokerage firm in pursuit of Gardner’s desire for a better life for the two of them.
Also READ: What are Kevin Hart’s best movies?